Sbin

Sbin

The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3)
Julie Kagawa
My Soul to Save  - Rachel Vincent While I wholly enjoyed the first book in this series (and the prequel, as well), I found this second installment a little underwhelming. It's been good, but not as good as the previous one.There were some aspects that ticked me off. Not much, mind you, but they prevented me to give this five full stars.First: this plot is a bit weaker than that of the first one.Second: the constant reminder that Nash is hot. Definitely didn't need so many adjectives sprinkled around like Christmas candy. They often made the sentences unnecessarily verbose. Here's an example:(...) Nash asked, concern lining the edges of his perfect, practically edible mouth.That could have been simply: “Nash asked, concern lining the edges of his mouth”. I know, it's a silly little thing. But it bothered me nonetheless.Third: in almost every book I read, I find a character (or more than one) that I want to see dead or at least gruesomely bloodied. In this case, there were the stupid sisters who sold both their souls for fame and fortune, and therefore found themselves in need of help from Kaylee. Does she laugh in their faces (I know, that would have been out of character for her, but I would have totally done it)? No. Does she refuse to help them, even if their silliness is probably going to put her at risk? No. Does se at least talk some sense in them? No. She just plays the little good door mat because “it's the right thing to do”. What the hell. I definitely like more spine bitchiness in my heroines.Last: I have some trouble understanding the concept of "parental care" as described in these books.Let's take for example Kylee's car. She has to work to earn her gas money. That's fair. Sometimes she is asked to drive her ungrateful cousin around. That's slightly less fair. Then, as a form of punishment, her car is taken away. That's not fair, given that she works for it. The punishment should revolve around something else.And I don't understand this “grounding” business. I'm dictatorial as the next parent can be, but I fail to see the educational value of locking a kid in a room. But from what I understand from american fictional literature (correct me if I understand wrong), it's a well established practice, so I suppose that's just me.